7.15.2009

Sotomayor on Being Latina


The following passage on being Latina is from a Sonia Sotomayor's A Latina Judge’s Voice lecture (aka, The Wise Latina Speech), delivered at the California University, Berkeley School of Law in 2001:
I became a Latina by the way I love and the way I live my life. My family showed me by their example how wonderful and vibrant life is and how wonderful and magical it is to have a Latina soul. They taught me to love being a Puertorriqueña and to love America and value its lesson that great things could be achieved if one works hard for it. But achieving success here is no easy accomplishment for Latinos or Latinas, and although that struggle did not and does not create a Latina identity, it does inspire how I live my life.

1 comment:

  1. Another "Immigrant" distinguished Woman :

    The Chinese Grandfather arrived to America and opened a restaurant.

    Video : Judy Chu : The First Chinese American Woman to serve in the U. S. Congress - Swearing and Speeches

    Judy Chu is filling the seat vacated by Hilda Solis in the House of Representatives, 32th district in California

    16 de julio de 2009
    This afternoon, Congresswoman Judy Chu of California was sworn in on the House floor to fill the 32nd district seat of California left open when Hilda Solis resigned to become the U.S. Secretary of Labor

    Welcome Congresswoman Judy Chu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YnyFzgWlv0

    Milenials.com

    Vicente Duque

    ReplyDelete